Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Next generation consoles, Xbox 720, PS4, Wii-U


Having a bit of a geek out and looking into the next gen consoles.

Presently I have an old Xbox that I never use, a Wii that I rarely use and a PS3 that has needed the optical lense replaced in the Blu-Ray drive. That aside, I have an interest in the upcoming consoles... Will I get one? Unlikely... unless I happen upon some decent work and clear off some debts!

PS4
Rumoured for a Christmas 2013 release date, the PS4 looks like it is going to pack i some awesome improvements compared to the current console. Considering the problems with the PS3 launch (Taking so long to get to market they lost a lot of the game release reservations that the usually get, e.g Final Fantasy series, to other market sectors meaning there was not really anything worthwhile and unique on release. In addition, the loss of backwards compatibility really hindered things. PS4 is not even going to attempt backwards compatibility!) my fingers are crossed that this console is shipped ASAP and that it comes with some good games!

I have a few concerns about this console I must admit...

From what I read, the components already seem selected, and are not the best to date... yet they are not planning to release for nearly a year and a half?? This will surely mean the released console that will cost as much as a decent desktop pc will be outdated already... Loss of backwards compatibility is an ouchie, and it seems they are going the Steam route, so no second hand games.... Oh my.

Hype factor dropped for me, but we will keep tabs on things...

Xbox 720
Alrighty then, the 360 was the first next-gen console I tried of the current bunch, but I got it early and resold it on Ebay to people much more eager for a hefty profit (dont look at me like that! It was an auction cos I couldn't afford to keep it!) but my initial impressions were pretty positive. The next gen console, which looks to be called 'Inifinity' (Yeah, were just gonna call it 720 aren't we :p) is looking to improve in many areas compared to the PS3. firstly, it is bringing Blu-Ray to the forefront. The HD-DVD and BR wars were lost for the 360, so this move makes perfect sense.

The 720 also looks to be packed with AMD components. Normally there is a bit of a components war that goes on with consoles, but this time it looks like AMD is sweeping the field.

The 720 also seems ahead of the PS4 in that developers are already toying with prototype consoles for developing games. Again, said games look like they will be released steam-style.

A note from research; the consoles look like they have much lower price costs than I expectd... <£200 for the 720 and PS4... Hard to believe, but if it is, bring it!

Wii-U
Also known as the nintendo police siren... I currently have a Wii - and it is used almost exclusively for Wii Fit. We borrowed a few games off a friend but never play them. some of the social games can be a  giggle, but its usually just something that happens at family events.

First thing about the Wii-U - It beings HD to the field. I felt the lack of HD on the Wii was a killer, I would have played it so much more and bought games if I felt like it was even remotely competition for the PS3 for the luscious high defenition TV we were using for gaming on. Wii-U gets a mighty big tick for this change. The catch is, reports are that the graphics will only equal the PS3 or 360 but not the new consoles, but hopefully the price label will make the difference (Though at expectations of £400 - I wont be investing!).

A nice bonus, it has a screen on the controller, which could have many awesome functions.

Lacking Blu-Ray player... Oh dear... But it looks like games will use the traditional method, and that there is a vast number of games, as well as backwards compatability.

One thing the siren has going for it is that it will be early to market, hitting the shelves for this christmas.

Anyway, rant over - I just wanted to put a post that had info on all the consoles in the one place and have a think on what is coming. My verdict: I dont intend to invest in any. I think I will stick to PC gaming as it is much more up my alley :p

Here are some links to Tech Radar;s posts on the next-gen consoles.

Xbox 720
Wii-U
PS4

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment