Friday, May 20, 2011

Mini GeekGasm - The Axel.


So - my placement began a few days ago - and I have been doing the hardware audit for the company that is employing me, and on said job - I have come across a device called the "AXEL". It is described as a "Thin Client" - what it basically does is act like a pc server on a network. You hook a mouse, keyboard and monitor into this device thats smaller than your typical modem - and can be mounted to your monitor - and voila - you (with some fiddling with settings etc to set it all up) basically have a virtual PC thats connected to a hub PC on the network. I think these are fantastic.

When I first came across them it was in a small office where there was one main PC and three workstations around the room... They all work seperately using the main PC to host their services. I want one! In our new house we have a monitor in the kitchen that is there to be connected up to a base unit so that you have a working PC in the kitchen for entertainments or web access, recipes, etc etc - with the thin client terminal - I could have this working without having to sort a seperate base unit for it... Considering I have seen these things going on eBay for like £10-20 (up to hundreds - Im guessing the capabilities of the devices are tied to some specification within, and cheap can be nasty.) so for a very simple access terminal to get recipes etc, it looks awesome :D

-V

1 comment:

  1. I first saw these while finding out about internet in remote areas. In africa, they have started dumping old shipping containers that are kitted out inside as internet cafés. Each one had around six work stations running off just one desktop machine connected to a satellite internet connection. It was great for cost saving on the equipment but unfortunately, the satellite connection itself is too much for most african vilages that have them.

    ReplyDelete