Saturday, October 16, 2010

Star Trek: TNG - Encounter at Farpoint...

Sat down to my first viewing through www.watchtrek.com - and I chose to watch the premier episode of Star Trek: TNG - Encounter at Farpoint.

Wow.

Its been at LEAST 15 years since I seen this episode...

Technically - I didnt realise just how close to TOS of ST it is... hehe, but I must admit I am enjoying it and all the cheesy bits it brings from The Original.
Some observations though...

Camera work... Why so dramatic? I keep expecting a Dun dun DUUUN!!! every time the camera zooms in! (Ala **Linky** )

Secondly... Riker... he needs the beard - but aside from that, his eyebrow and mouth movement mirrors Morena Baccarin when he speaks... its freaky

FYI: Morena Baccarin:

I was also stuck by how much he comes across as Kirk from TOS - his looks, his hair, how he moves... I suspect he was picked for this role exactly for that purpose! I also noted that within a minute of appearing on screen he was wielding an apple ala kobayashi maru references...

Next up: McCoy camio... Deforest Kelly popped his clogs a few years ago, which is unfortunate... but he brought up one reference in this camio that is huge... (I.E - to me anyway - its something I never thought of :p) Every genre of Star Trek has a vulcan on the bridge... but not TNG - You will notice that the main cast ensemble is very similar across all genres - but TNG stands out on the vulcanless point... (TOS = Spock, Voyager = Tuvok, Enterprise = Tapal... although I have admittedly not seen enough DS9 to comment on this from that perspective...)

I digress... Yes, He says to Data after data responds to his query as to how he remembers all this information and Data states he remembers every fact he is exposed to by stating he doesnt have pointy ears - but he sure sounds like a Vulcan... ergo - we have out TNG vulcan, albheit a bit shinier. :D Awesome.

Thirdly... Baby Wil Wheaton... Aww!! that certainly dates the last time I watched this though... he is 14/15 there? and he was older than me last time I watched it, and I am 27... Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment