Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Star Trek 2, or Star Trek: The Second. Some musings.


I thought I would do a little digging on the sequel to the Star Trek reboot movie that came out in 2009. 
In my opinion, the reboot was an awesome film. I watched it at a fairly tough time in my life at the cinema on my own, so I think it had a bigger impact on me than most films I go see, but I really liked it! The news articles I read about the upcoming sequel are making it sound like it should be pretty entertaining.

I like all the Star Trek movies (with perhaps the exception of the very first one, but it was not terrible - I happily watch it whenever its on or if I go on a ST binge!) and there are some themes that tend to run that I like, and some that I don't. The reboot basically threw these themes away and gave us a fun action movie, that was at the same time quite moving. The second film sounds like it is going to be a bit different again.

The Screenwriter Robert Orci mentions in an interview that the new movie will be themed more around "family". As I understand it, this means that it will be centered around the crew interactions, and how they are going to respond to various goings on in the main plot line - as opposed to being a band of merry men (and woman) thrown together at a critical time to deal with the BBEG (Big bad enemy guy) and his evil schemes. I have no idea what will be involved, but I imagine it is going to be pretty humorous. My fingers are crossed that it is as action packed as the first and isn't an episode of The Waltons in space. I don't think they would do that to themselves though... would they?

Anyway, it is set to be released in 2012. There was some concerns with production as far as I understand it due to Pine working on other movies - but due to them being put on hold the filming is set to start after Summer ^.^

Giggety, cant wait. Expect more ^.^
-V

No comments:

Post a Comment