Monday, September 10, 2012

The hunger Games, book and movie


A few nights ago, I seen The Hunger Games for the first time. I had a vague idea of the plot but the movie had never really caught my attention when it was in the cinema. Since its release, I decided that the idea of the combat survival interesting. (The Yogscast's Survival Games videos on You Tube might have also gotten me interested... I think Battle Royal may be on my to do list :D)

**Warning, potential spoilers**
So I watched it... and I must be honest, I found it very intriguing, I have always been a fan of the idea of survival stuff - couple it with the Gladiatorial theme of fighting to the death and the intricacies of the Political and hierarchical aspects it was cleverly weaved together. If you were not thinking it could easily be seen as a pretty simple plot, but the acting, the script, the behaviours, all of it carried varying connotations as to other things that were going on, feelings (or non) etc. It reminded me a lot of V for Vendetta, Equilibrium and that sort of dystopian future where governmental rule is absolute, and cruel. I watched it Friday night whilst my wife was working as she was not interested in a futuristic gladiatoral movie... Well, after watching it I identified a number of themes that she will like. We both studied psychology to some degree, have an interest in history, (in my case, especially the Roman Empire and gladiators), and the general depth the movie felt like it had I thought she would like so we both watched it Saturday night, and she enjoyed it too.

After watching I felt that I wanted more... The film covered most of the book very well, and I think added some very good elements via commentators, and the control room and watching the political interactions, none of which is directly shown in the book, only hinted to (It is written entirely in first person. Im glad the movie was not like this lest it may lend itself to a Twilight feel, and I hated the commentary there.).
I decided to pick up the book on Sunday. having watched the film and knowing the plot and what happens, etc etc I did not need to study every word in the book in detail, but I did read it quite thoroughly and it took me about 6 hours to read. The book includes some extra detail on the country, its history, details behind different things such as wildlife, character (and other tributes) histories and it gave me the info surge I was looking for. Overall I must say it was a great read, I am not sure if I preferred the book or the movie, but I definitely think they compliment each other very well. A few plot details are different to make the movie more dramatic/cinematic, but the book has more gory details :D


To this end, I would recommend both of them. I feel they compliment each other well rather than one detracting from the other like many films... I am left with one dilemma now.. Read Catching Fire, the sequel, before the second movie comes out next year... or watch the movie first... I have had bad experience of reading novels right before the movies come out (Return of The King, I am looking at you!), but doing it the other way round - the movie left me with questions, and the book satiated that appetite nicely.

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment