Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Initial Thoughts

So, The Old Republic officially launched this morning. I jumped on a RP server where most of my old gaming community from Star Wars Galaxies, and World of Warcraft: The Second Sun, are residing.

I joined the queue to get into the server at about 7:30 am, and had access by about 8:30am (queues galore just now, Im sure its an issue that will be resolved in due course, and hopefully not via a loss of customers) then rolled myself up a Sith Inquisitor. It seemed the closest thing to a Mage which is what I played in Wow as my main.

So far, I like it. It is definitely based on wow, but hugely improved. I really like the combat system, no targetting system, it plays more like an fps - there is no auto-attack, you point at a target and hit your attacks. You can click on a target to face them and attack - its all a pretty fluid and easy system.

Another thing I like about the game is the map. If you move when its activated, it becomes a transparent overlay, and you can actually run around with the map up. Nifty ^.^

I have not found any bugs or glitches so far (Perhaps with the exception of when I have my training-light-sabre out (Pressing Z - the controls are all identical to WOW) - it clips through walls, but never mind :D )

The graphics are ok, nothing spectacular. They are nice and clean, this PC has no issues running on max everything (560gtx graphics, AMD X55 processor and 8GB ram - 22" monitor at 1920*1080).

Aaaand... thats about it. Maybe Ill write another more in depth review once I spend a bit more time in game and level my char past 6 ^.^

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment